Firearms Application Procedures:
As of March 15, 2019, the Penns Grove Police Department will be implementing the Firearms Registration System, also known as FARS.
This is an online system for applications to Firearms Purchaser Identifications Cards and /or a Handgun Purchaser Permit. This will replace the current paper application process in which you were required to make application at our station. We are in the process of updating out Borough Website to provide a quick link to the information.
During this process you will be contacted by one of our officers if any additional information is needed.
Click the link below for instant access to the new FARS system and application process.
Should you have any questions feel free to contact Sgt. John Boucher or Detective Chris Hemple at 856-299-0056.
Additional Information to help with the process:
- A firearms application are for individual pistol permits. This means, an application will have to filed and processed for each additional pistol that a person intends to purchase.
- First time applicants will need to be fingerprinted and pay a cost of $60.25.
- Prior applicants will be charged $18.00 per application.
- There is a fee of $5.00 for your Firearms I.D. card.
- There is a fee of $2.00 for each handgun permit.
PLEASE REMEMBER TO PROPERLY SECURE YOUR FIREARM WHEN LEFT UNATTENDED.
Please make Money Orders payable to the Division of State Police SBI.
You must be 18 years of age to purchase a long gun and 21 years old to purchase a handgun.
For restrictions on obtaining a permit or an ID card refer to NJ Statute 2C:58-3c
under the NJ criminal code manual. New Jersey State Police Web Site (njsp.org)
The average waiting time for the initial application is about 8-12 weeks.
Applicants who have already been issued permits/ID cards before, the time is about 4 weeks.